History

Millport Mennonite Meeting House - 1846
Millport Mennonite Church 1976
Sky View of Millport
Addition added - 1986
Horace Young
John and Stella Wentling
Michael and Jennie Wenger
Ira and Mabel Landis
Founding Church Families

HISTORY OF MILLPORT MENNONITE CHURCH

 

The original church building was built in 1846.  It was used by various groups for worship including the Methodists, United Brethren, Evangelical, United Zion and Brethren.

The Mennonites were asked by Horace Young, a trustee, to begin services.  He then attended the church for years to come.

The first service was held on November 15, 1953.  The early church leaders were John Wentling, Michael Wenger, Amos Horst, Mahlon Zimmerman, and Ira Landis who were involved in other local Mennonite churches.  The services were held in the afternoons until Aprilo 22, 1956 when the first morning service was held.

On May 19, 1959 Millport was officially purchased by the Mennonites for one dollar.  The original structure was one room known today as the fellowship hall.  In this room all activities were held including all the Sunday School classes.

In 1972 a wing was added t the auditorium for Sunday School classes, library, foyer, and bathroom facilities.  The congregation continued growing and a trailer was added in 1985 for extra classroom space.  This helped for a short time until the new auditorium was built in 1986.  Both building projects were well supported both in financial giving and volunteer labor.

The leaders was originally made up of ordained men from other congregation.  Michael Wenger (Carpenters Mennonite Church) and Ira Landis (Landis Valley Mennonite Church) served as pastors with John Wentling (Carpenters Mennonite Church) as deacon.

Later the congregation chose men within the church to be its leaders.  Following are those that became the leaders:

            July 27, 1961.............................Paul Weaver....................Deacon

            January 23, 1965.......................Wilmer Myer...................Pastor

            January 17, 1970.......................Paul Weaver....................Pastor

            December 12, 1970....................John Bender....................Deacon

            February 19, 1978......................Paul Weaver....................Bishop

            November 19, 1978....................Eugene Beyer..................Pastor

            August 16, 1981.........................Nelson Martin.................Licensed Pastor

            February 27, 1983......................Nelson Martin.................Ordained Pastor

            July 27, 1986.............................Eugene Beyer, commissioned for Belize

            July 27, 1986 - August 1994......Joseph Stahl....................Licensed Pastor

            September 1, 1989....................Eugene Beyer....................returned as Pastor

            November 22, 1992...................Nelson Martin...................Bishop

            May 1, 1994..............................Delmar Weaver..................Pastor

 The church began as a home mission congregation.  There were cottage meetings held in community homes.  Summer Bible School brought many children from the community and several community person came to the Lord and became members at Millport.  Today our congregation reaches out through Refreshing Times (a ladies ministry) and a community Bible School.  There are also members sharing Christ in various locations around the world.

We all need to be a light in our communities and may Jesus be honored as service for Him continues in the Millport Mennonite Church.

Compiled by Joseph Stahl - 1998

cross
economics